When you live in an apartment—especially one that’s furnished—it's easy to feel that choices toward living sustainably are somewhat limited. Although it's true that you probably can't change your appliances or make any major adjustments to the space, there are still numerous ways to live an eco-friendly lifestyle in an apartment. To help you get started, we've compiled a list of tips for living green in an apartment. Don't underestimate the possibilities!
Tips for Living Green in an Apartment
First of all, be sure to seek out a green apartment at the start. Ask your landlord what they're doing to create an eco-friendly living space, and discuss features like appliances, transportation, insulation, windows, water conservation, and more. Your interest in the subject might even prompt a few leasing companies to make eco-friendly choices during future renovations.
Next, remember that where you live and how you're able to get around can have a huge impact on your carbon footprint. Is your apartment near your workplace? Can you easily walk to restaurants and coffee shops? Are there entertainment options at your doorstep? Choosing an apartment in a central location will allow you to walk or bike to your most frequented locations. In addition, look for apartments that offer modern amenities like a shared electric car or a bicycle program (wink).
Finally, remember all of the little things that you can do on a day-to-day basis. The small choices you make throughout your day—your thermostat selections, your laundry habits, and your bathroom routine—can alter your impact on the earth as well:
- Turn off your appliances when you aren't using them.
- Unplug appliances that you only use for a portion of the day.
- Keep your thermostat high in the summer and low in winter.
- Use tap water (with a filter if you like) instead of buying bottles of water.
- Take quick showers.
- Don't leave the water running.
- Only do laundry when you have a full load.
- Cover your windows in summer to limit excess heat.
- Recycle everything you can.
- Limit your waste and avoid excess spending.
- Purchase eco-friendly light bulbs.
- Carpool with your friends or neighbors.
- Eat less meat and buy local food.
- Grow herbs on your balcony.
- Line-dry a load of laundry when possible.
- Use cloth paper towels and cleaning rags instead of disposable versions.
- Carry a reusable bag when shopping.
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
Living green doesn't just reduce your impact on the environment; it can also help you save money on electricity bills and live a healthier lifestyle.
If you're looking for a green-minded apartment to call home in downtown Springfield, check out Park East, a neighborhood with rich history, lively entertainment, and truly fantastic food. We have apartments and lofts in three historic properties: the U, the Sterling, and Sky Eleven. Each offers a unique character as well as eco-friendly benefits like energy-minded appliances, a shared bike program, and a shared electric car. To learn more about our residences and their amenities, please give us a call at 417-895-8015 or contact us online.